Whether you own a Toyota Tocoma or a Jeep Wrangler JK, JL, or any other model of your choice, the best off road battery is an absolute must if you want to get the best out of your dear auto. In most cases, batteries serve two major functions in your auto.
First, they provide the cranking amps to start the engine, and two; they supply sufficient juice to power the ignition system and all electrical components within the car. That said, one of the most important requirements of any off road battery is to match the specs of your auto without dying unexpectedly.
Some of the requirements your battery is expected to meet include, holding the charge for a longer time, powering multiple electrical accessories, and withstanding shock and vibrations that occur when driving on rough roads.
- Top 12 Best Off Road Battery Reviews:
- 1. Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery
- 2. ODYSSEY 65-PC1750T Automotive and LTV Battery
- 3. XS Power D6500 XS Series 12V 3,900 Amp AGM High Output Battery
- 4. ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
- 5. Odyssey PC925 Automotive and LTV Battery
- 6. Optima Batteries OPT8003-151 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
- 7. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery
- 8. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
- 9. Optima Batteries 8012-021 D34 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- 10. ACDelco ACDB24R Advantage AGM Automotive BCI Group 51 Battery
- 11. Delphi BU9048 MaxStart AGM Premium Automotive Battery
- 12. XS Power D4800 12V BCI Group 48 AGM Battery
- Factors to Consider When Choosing an Off Road Battery
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Best Off Road Battery: Editor’s Top Picks
Top 12 Best Off Road Battery Reviews:
Since breaking down battery specifications can be so overwhelming to most off road enthusiasts, this guide has done all the hard work for you by listing 12 of the best batteries that will guarantee efficiency and longevity when driving your auto in the wilderness.
1. Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Cell Composition: Lead-Acid
- Weight: 31.7 Pounds
- Cold Crank Amps: 720
Optima is one of the leading brands in the manufacture of high-performance batteries for off-road use. One of their latest offering that has proven to be an impressive and reliable prospect is the Optima 25 RedTop Battery. So, if you’re an off-road enthusiast, then perhaps this battery can be a reliable companion.
Recognized by its red top and black body, this battery is designed to offer strong bursts of ignition power during cold starts or hard launches. It has an impressive high-power delivery that makes it the best candidate for Jeeps, RVs, and trucks that drive through rocky areas in the wilderness. Besides, this battery has a tough race-proven casing that’s both spill-proof and shockproof.
About the battery’s reliability, Optima has employed a very unique Spiral Cell Technology that comprises of individual spiral-wound cells made of 99.99% lead. The resulting lead plates are coated with lead oxide to make the battery more tolerant to rapid wear and tear. The Optima 25 RedTop Battery is a 12V lead-acid battery that’s an ideal pick for RVs, trucks, SUVs, and streetcars.
- Offers up to 3 times longer lifespan than traditional batteries
- Delivers strong bursts of cranking power for ignition purposes
- Offers impressive vibration resistance
- Delivers up to 720 cold-cranking amps
- Spiral Cell Technology makes this battery more tolerant
2. ODYSSEY 65-PC1750T Automotive and LTV Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 58 Pounds
- Amperage: 68 Amps
- Cold Crank Amps: 950
- Reserve Capacity: 145 Minutes
The ODYSSEY 65-PC1750T Automotive Battery is one of the batteries that possess impressive deep cycling capabilities. While the Optima 25 RedTop Battery provides enough burst for cold starts, the ODYSSEY thrives most where ample electrical power is needed to power multiple accessories.
Now, what makes the ODYSSEY so powerful? First, the plates of this battery are made of pure virgin leads. Unlike lead alloy plates, virgin lead plates can be packed in plenty giving this battery a power advantage over its conventional counterparts. Due to its massive power, this battery manages up to 400 cycles at 80% of depth discharge. It also has a Cold Cramp Amp rating of 950 CCA and a reserve capacity of 145 minutes.
To make it a high performer in extreme conditions, ODYSSEY has equipped this battery with a special AGM (absorbed glass mat) design that prevents acid spillage and other common battery issues such as high conductivity, corrosion, and leaking of internal gases. Following its impressive design success, the ODYSSEY 65-PC1750T Automotive Battery is a reliable battery that suits all types of vehicles ranging from classic, antique, high-performance to 4×4 off-road vehicles.
- Offers around 3-10 years of service life
- More lead plates provide more operating power
- AGM design resists acid spillage due to vibrations and shock
- Enjoys an 80% longer life cycle than batteries with similar configurations
- Suits all type of vehicles
3. XS Power D6500 XS Series 12V 3,900 Amp AGM High Output Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 58.3 Pounds
- AGM Technology
- Crank Amps: 1070
- Reserve Capacity: 150 Minutes
Established in 2005, XS Power is a battery brand that has made a name from the manufacture of high-quality batteries for both automotive and marine use. The XS Power D6500 is an example of what this brand has been up to in recent times. As a starting battery, this battery can start any engine fast enough as compared to most of its competitors.
With cool specs such as 3900 Max Amps, 1070 CA, and 75Ah, this battery is capable of maintaining a stable voltage even when exposed to heavy electrical loads. Besides, this battery maintains its voltage in extreme environments making it the best for both cold and hot weather.
About the construction, the XS Power D6500 is designed using the AGM technology that prevents the acid from leaking or spilling due to extreme shock and vibrations. Since the battery is perfectly sealed, it can be mounted in almost any position making it the best off road truck battery in the business.
- The 75 Ah battery capacity is enough to power a range of vehicles
- AGM technology makes this battery spill-proof and vibration resistant
- Offers enough power to start the engine and power all electrical components
- Offers a massive 1070 Crank Amp and 150 minutes worth of Reserve Capacity
- The battery can be mounted in any position without spilling the acid
4. ACDelco 48AGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 48 Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Cell Composition: Silver-Calcium
- Weight: 45.5 Pounds
- Warranty: 36 months free replacement
- Cold Crank Amp: 760
- Reserve Minutes: 120 Minutes
One reason that has made the ACDelco 48AGM Battery shine so much in its debut is due to the company’s impressive reputation in manufacturing authentic General Motors equipment and parts. In fact, to meet customer demands, ACDelco has manufactured several versions of these batteries with each having its own key specifications.
For instance, the ACDelco 48AGM Battery is BCI group 48. Although there are other groups below and above it, the BCI 48 is hailed for being powerful and for having lengthy cycling capabilities. This advantage comes as a result of using silver-calcium alloys that improve the cycle life of this battery as well as its overall performance.
The ACDelco 48AGM Battery is further equipped with a high-density negative paste and a calcium lead positive grid. This impressive design helps to maximize conductivity to improve the battery’s performance and increase its overall life expectancy. Other than that, this battery is equipped with an AGM design that helps to prevent unwanted spills when you’re driving on rough terrains. It also has an envelope separator and a puncture-resistant back that improves acid circulation in the battery.
- AGM design makes this battery 100% leak and spill-proof
- Has a puncture-resistant back that improves circulation
- The silver-calcium battery cell composition improves the battery’s life cycle and performance
- Has a relatively high Cold Crank Amp of 760 and 120 reserve minutes
- AGM design prevents acid from leaking to other cells when driving
5. Odyssey PC925 Automotive and LTV Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 26 Pounds
- Cold Crank Amp: 330
- Reserve Capacity: 52 Minutes
The Odyssey PC925 LTV Battery is an example of a high-quality battery that’s specifically designed to meet all your car’s power demands. So, whether it’s starting the engine or powering some of your truck’s electrical components, this battery will provide enough juice that will supplement your needs for long without getting depleted.
Now, why is this Odyssey battery so special? Well, one of the major selling points of this battery is the use of pure virgin lead instead of lead alloys. This allows the battery to pack more lead plates which leads to improved performance. And since there’s an increased surface area for the plates, this battery is 3× more powerful than its conventional counterparts.
Besides, the Odyssey PC925 LTV Battery has a Cold Crank Amp rating of 330 and a reserve capacity of 52 minutes. What this means is that this battery is a perfect candidate for off-road use. To make it even better, Odyssey has used a unique AGM technology that prevents spillage when the battery is exposed to extreme shocks and vibrations.
- This battery has a longer lifespan of around 3-10 years
- Offers a 70% longer life cycle than most conventional batteries
- Has a fast recharge time of 4-6 hours
- Manages 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge
- AGM technology prevents spillage when driving on rough roads
6. Optima Batteries OPT8003-151 8003-151 34R RedTop Starting Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 37.9 Pounds
- Cold Crank Amp: 800
- Reserve Capacity: 100 Minutes
If you’re looking for the best off road battery for Tacoma, then the perfect pick is none other than the Optima OPT8003 Starting Battery. Now, one factor that keeps this battery at the top is its impressive adaptability. Its ability to bear both hot and cold weather makes it the best match for off road driving especially if your Toyota Tacoma is assigned heavy utilitarian assignments.
Now, one of the factors that have contributed massively to this battery’s success is the use of a unique Spiral Cell Technology. In this technology, lead plates are wound into individual spiral cells and then coated in lead oxide. Although this technology is expensive, it helps to improve the life of the battery while still improving its tolerance when exposed to harsh weather.
In addition to being resourceful, the Optima OPT8003 Starting Battery is reinforced with a totally leak-proof body. This makes the battery highly reliable when driving both on-road and off-road. Besides, it has a massive Cold Crank Amp rating of 800 and a reserve capacity of 100 minutes. Due to those impressive specs, this battery is highly reliable for cold starts as it has enough burst of ignition power to start your engine.
- Offers strong bursts of ignition power for cold starts
- SpiralCell Technology provides this battery with a steady flow of power
- This battery works well under extreme weather conditions
- The casing is spill-proof and vibration resistant
- Has a Cold Crank Amp rating of 800 and a reserve capacity of 100 minutes
7. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Cell Composition: Lithium-Ion
- Weight: 31 Lbs
- Warranty: 10-Years
- 100 Amp Hour
Based in Reno, Nevada, Battle Born is a brand that’s hugely hailed for manufacturing sustainable and environmentally friendly batteries. One of their batteries that’s made using sustainable lithium-ion phosphate is the Battle Born LifeP04 Deep Cycle Battery. The use of green energy in this battery has contributed massively to its overall performance, as it doesn’t suffer from those disadvantages held by most AGM batteries.
Other than the green energy advantage, this battery uses the Lithium-Ion technology that comes with several benefits. One, it boosts the battery’s lifespan, and two, it gives you unlimited mounting options depending on your needs. Lastly, the Li-Ion technology reduces the weight of this battery making it almost 3× lighter than lead-acid batteries.
What’s more? Well, the Battle Born LifeP04 Deep Cycle Battery is equipped with an advanced BMS (Battery Management System) that protects the battery from common battery failures. These include ground faults and temperature volatility especially when the battery is left untouched for too long.
- Built-in BMS protects the battery from any cause of battery failure
- The LI-Ion technology allows this battery to be mounted in any position
- It lasts longer than most lead-acid batteries
- It has a deep cycle of 3000-5000 meaning it can be charged and recharged multiple times
- This battery is way lighter than its AGM counterparts
8. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 23.15 Pounds
- AGM Technology
- Warranty: 1-Year
The Mighty Max ML35 Battery is arguably one of the best batteries that can be considered for off-road use. Although it doesn’t rely on the Li-Ion technology like the Battle Born LifeP04 Deep Cycle Battery, this battery is equipped with various technologies that make it a serious off-road contender.
One of those is the AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) technology that gives this battery excellent shock absorbing capability to prevent unnecessary acid leakage when driving. Besides, this technology allows you to mount this battery in any position without worrying about any acid spillage in the process.
Besides off-road use, the Mighty Max ML35 Battery thrives in other applications such as trolling motors, powering boats, powering golf carts, and for solar system use. In fact, this battery works exceptionally well when matched with solar systems, as it can easily be recharged using solar power. Designed to withstand both high and low temperatures, the Mighty Max ML35 Battery is an excellent pick for hard engine starts as it has a strong burst of ignition power to handle such tasks.
- The Sealed Lead Acid technology makes this battery rechargeable and maintenance-free
- It can be powered using solar energy
- Perfect for both off-road and marine use
- Has a very long service life
- AGM technology prevents the spilling of acid when driving
9. Optima Batteries 8012-021 D34 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 42.9 Pounds
- Cold Crank Amps: 750
- Reserve Capacity: 120 Minutes
The best thing about Optima is that they have categorized their batteries based on their function. For instance, red top batteries are intended for engine starts while yellow tops are designed to power multiple accessories within the car. Now, the Optima D34 YellowTop Battery is among those off road batteries that are tasked to handle your vehicle’s power demands.
Equipped with a Cold Crank Amp rating of 750 and a reserve capacity of 120 minutes, this battery is exactly what you need if you’re looking for a constant power supply for your vehicle. Its low self-discharge rate and SpiralCell design give this battery massive power to operate your vehicle’s power-hungry accessories such as winches, hydraulics, stereo, and the power window.
About the construction, the Optima D34 YellowTop Battery is equipped with a unique AGM technology that makes it 15× more resistant to vibrations than its conventional counterparts. This design success allows you to mount this battery at almost any angle or position without worrying about acid leakage.
- Packs ample power to serve most of your car’s electrical equipment
- AGM design prevents spillage even under high vibrations
- Recharges quickly and sustains power for a long time
- Usable on a wide range of applications
- Has a reserve capacity of 120 minutes for optimal performance
10. ACDelco ACDB24R Advantage AGM Automotive BCI Group 51 Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 31.5 Pounds
- AGM Technology
The ACDelco ACDB24R AGM Battery is a high-standard battery that’s specifically designed to cater to all your car’s electrical demands. Identified by its grey body and yellow top, this battery is grouped in the BCI 51 category making it among the largest versions available.
Now, what makes this battery a top contender? Well, one of the selling features of the ACDelco ACDB24R AGM Battery is the use of calcium alloy instead of lead. What this means is that this battery has a more corrosion-resistant grid that maximizes the battery’s life while minimizing the rate of self-discharge.
Additionally, this battery relies on the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology to remain stable when driving in tough terrains. What this means is that the acid inside the battery is completely sealed to prevent any leakage when driving on bumpy roads. But, despite possessing such rare advantages, this battery should not be stored in temperatures below 30°F or above 70°F as this can cause a self-discharge reaction that can damage the battery over time.
- This battery offers you flexible mounting options
- It’s designed to last longer than most of its closest rivals
- It has an ergonomic carry handle that makes lifting a breeze
- AGM design makes this battery spill-proof when exposed to vibrations
- Suits a wide range of vehicles
11. Delphi BU9048 MaxStart AGM Premium Automotive Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 44.1 Pounds
- Cold Crank Amp: 760 CCA
- Reserve Capacity: 120 Minutes
If you’re an off-roader that enjoys driving in rural hilly areas, then perhaps you might like to consider the convenience offered by the Delphi BU9048 MaxStart AGM Battery. Unlike most conventional batteries, this one is 20x more vibration resistant which is all thanks to the AGM technology. Besides, this battery is manufactured with your car’s exact specifications meaning it won’t shift when driving.
The Delphi BU9048 MaxStart AGM Battery is designed with a fast recharging time than most of its rivals. It also has a Cold Crank Amp rating of 760 and a reserve capacity of 120 minutes making it the best for engine starts and for running your car’s power accessories.
The Delphi BU9048 MaxStart AGM Battery is housed on a durable casing that protects it from external damage. It’s also highly resistant to corrosion and harsh weather making it an excellent pick for off-roaders that enjoy driving under inclement weather. This battery comes with two carry handles that make it easier for you to lift it without facing any risks of dropping it.
- High cold-cranking amperage provide enough power to start your truck
- The high reserve capacity offers ample power to run all your car’s electrical components
- The battery is 20x more vibration resistant than most of its closest rivals
- It’s also corrosion-resistant
- Ergonomic handles make carrying a breeze
12. XS Power D4800 12V BCI Group 48 AGM Battery
- Voltage: 12V
- Weight: 47.6 Pounds
- Cell Composition: Lead Acid
Last but not least, we have the XS Power D4800 12V Battery. Now, one cool thing about XS Power is that they’ve categorized all their batteries according to the amount of power they can handle. For instance, the XS Power D4800 is in the BCI Group 48 which is considered a mid-table battery perfect for mid-sized sedans, trucks, and SUVs.
Although it’s made in China, this battery packs tremendous power that’s enough to start your engine and power most of your electric components. This battery maintains a steady flow of power throughout its operating hours without failing.
Now, just like most of the batteries we’ve discussed, the XS Power D4800 12V Battery is also equipped with the latest AGM technology that prevents the acid from spilling or leaking when driving on rough terrains. It’s also resistant to vibrations meaning you won’t suffer from any power loss when driving. Capable of producing over 3000 Max Amps, this battery is one of the best off road battery you can rely on for both on-road and off-road use.
- This battery is highly resistant to shocks and vibrations
- The AGM Technology prevents any possible acid leakage when driving
- Flexible and very easy to install
- Usable on a wide range of vehicles
- Used as a starting battery and for running multiple power equipment
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Off Road Battery
Now that we’ve discussed 12 of the best off road batteries that are currently in the market, our next focus is to list some essential factors you need to consider before picking your favorite battery.
Now, when picking any of these batteries, you need to note that the longevity of the cells will hugely depend on the type of terrains you’re driving on, the frequency of use, and the climatic conditions you’re driving on. With that said, here are some factors you’ll need to consider before picking an off road battery.
1. Type of Battery:
The first thing you need to think of when choosing an off road battery is the exact type of battery that will suit your vehicle. In most cases, batteries are categorized into four main types that include Lithium-Ion, flooded lead-acid, gel, and AGMs.
A) Lithium-Ion Batteries:
These types of batteries are considered the latest additions in the world of batteries. They contain a cathode, anode, and a solution of lithium salts. Since they don’t contain any lead acid, these batteries can be mounted in any position and are relatively lighter than most lead-acid batteries.
B) Flooded Lead-Acid Batteries:
These types of batteries are the least expensive. They comprise of lead plates dipped inside an acid to create a chemical reaction. These batteries require a monthly top-up of charge and distilled water to maintain peak performance.
Although they’re the cheapest, these batteries must be placed in an upright position to prevent spillage. They must also be charged in a well-ventilated space as they release explosive gases.
C) Gel Batteries:
Although these batteries are considered to be lead-acid, they rely on a very different technology that makes them highly reliable. Here, sulphuric acid is combined with silica fumes to form a chemical reaction that results in the formation of a gel-like mass.
Since this gel is viscous enough to avoid spillage, these batteries are hence the best for off road use as they can be mounted in any position. They’re also maintenance-free and highly resistant to vibrations.
D) AGM Batteries:
These batteries rely on a special fiberglass mat to ignite the electrolyte solution inside the battery. The Absorbed Glass Mat prevents any spillage thus making these batteries the best for off road use.
2. Size & Weight:
The next prominent factor that demands a lot of attention is the size and the weight of the battery. Knowing this parameter beforehand is very important as it helps you in picking the right battery that will suit your car.
3. Amperage Hours:
Amperage Hours (Ah) is the measure of a battery’s capacity when working. This is an important parameter you must consider when picking a battery for off road. Since most trucks, Jeeps, and SUVs demand a lot of power to run their electrical components, a battery with high amperage hours will be enough to power most of these components for an extended period.
4. Cold Cranking Amps:
The battery’s CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is another important parameter you can’t afford to ignore when choosing a deep-cycle battery. Now, what exactly is CCA? Well, CCA is the ability of a battery to deliver strong bursts of cranking power enough to start an engine in extremely cold temperatures.
So, if you live in regions that record very low temperatures, you need to invest in a battery that has a high CCA rating.
5. Reserve Capacity:
Reserve Capacity is actually a measure of how long a battery can run on its own before being entirely discharged. This parameter is very important when choosing the best battery for off road as it comes in handy in situations where the battery runs solely on its own without depending on the engine.
Some of these situations involve driving with a faulty alternator or if accidentally leaving the audio on.
The durability of a battery is another factor you must be keen on when picking a battery for off road use. Since you’ll be driving all alone in the wilderness, the type of battery you choose should be strong enough to supplement all your power demands. It should also have a longer life cycle following repeated charges and discharges.
7. Depth of Discharge:
Lastly, there’s the DoD, or rather the depth of discharge of a battery. This is considered as the total amount of charge discharged from a battery and is expressed as a percentage. In most cases, you should avoid discharging your battery completely as this can ruin its life.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Life Expectancy of Deep Cycle Batteries?
In most cases, the life expectancy of deep-cycle batteries is anywhere from 3-20 years. However, this depends on the type of battery you’re using. For instance, Li-Ion and Gel batteries can last for up to 20 years while deep-cycle batteries can go up to 6-years.
When Should I Replace my Battery?
In most cases, the best battery for off road vehicles can last anywhere from 10-20 years. However, depending on your drivability and the climatic conditions, there are times when your battery may show signs of wear.
For instance, if your car becomes sluggish or maybe you experience difficulty igniting the car in cold starts, then there’s a high possibility that your battery is damaged. Also, if the battery discharges quite fast, or if you notice the case is bloated, then it simply means the battery is faulty and needs immediate replacement.
How Do I Maintain My Battery?
Whether your battery is for on road or off road use, it should be maintained regularly to keep it in good shape. One of the things you need to do to maintain your battery is to wipe it often using a clean cloth. Also, you need to inspect the terminal plugs often for any signs of rust and corrosion build-up. Remember, rust and corrosion on the terminals can lower the battery’s performance.
What’s the Charging Time for Off Road Batteries?
The charging time for off road batteries varies from battery to battery. For instance, Li-Ion batteries require around 3 hours to fully recharge while deep-cycle batteries require 8-16 hours. On the other hand, Gel batteries require 5-10 hours while AGM batteries demand up to 5 hours to fully recharge.
So, there you have it. In case you’ve been struggling to find the best off road battery, then this guide has listed some of the best models you can consider. Some of the reasons that make these batteries the best include; reserve capacity, high CCA rating, and, of course, longer life span.
Additionally, most of these batteries rely on the AGM technology that prevents them from spilling acid when exposed to extreme shock and vibrations. Other than the review section, we’ve also added a detailed buyer’s guide section and have also answered some of the pressing questions you might have regarding off road batteries.